Tired of Thinking About Drinking

Would you like to do the 100 day sober challenge?

Hi there.

1. Would you like to do the 100 Sober Challenge?
    Here’s the pledge:
    “I will not drink for 100 days.  No matter what.  I can cry, but I will not drink.  I can go to bed or go home early. I might feel distressed … but I will not drink.  Bad things might happen, but I will not drink.  Incredibly shitty things may happen to someone around me, or my neighbour, or my friend’s friend’s grandmother.  But there will be no booze.  Funerals? Weddings? Amputation?  I’m not drinking for 100 days no matter what happens … No matter what.”
  2. Make a note of the date of your last drink and post a comment here to let us know.
  3. Read the sober blogs (mine and others) every day. Become involved. Post comments on the blogs. The more you reach out, the more sober tools you add, the easier you’ll find it.
  4. Sign up to get daily sober motivation here.
  5. If you’d like to have a sober penpal (how cool, can’t wait to get to know you better!), then sign up for the Sober Jumpstart class. There are three versions of the class — short, audio only, and long. All three versions come with a free sober penpal (me!). You can email me every single day, ask questions, rant, whine, and get cheerleading. I answer every email I receive. And yes, we remain sober penpals after the class is over. For as long as you’d like. For years.

(NOTE: If you HAVE signed up to do the challenge before, then you have a spot and a member number already. And we’re penpals already. Your spot is here. Just email me to restart or to tell me how you’re doing.)

Single Post Navigation

347 thoughts on “Would you like to do the 100 day sober challenge?

Comment Navigation

1. Hi all, I haven’t been able to get back to Day 1, I had almost 3 weeks and then back to my old ways for the past month. Any words of encouragement would be deeply appreciated. Thx

2. Day 1! I’m SO tired of this. I went from being happily married with 2 young daughters to moving out, getting separated, getting divorced and now supervised visits with my kids. I tried rehab (twice), I’ve been hospitalized, I’ve done AA, I’ve done IOP. I thought I had tried everything but I haven’t tried this. I’m am definitely Tired of Thinking About Drinking and I want this one to stick!

• Hi anonymous, you’re the first to mention bilirubin levels and clogged liver! I, too was having gall bladder issues and I knew if I could stop or drink much much less I’d probably give my body a chance to heal. Well I couldn’t just ‘do less’ so I’m also excited about the 100 day challenge. I’m on day 27. I feel great. Haven’t had any problems with gall bladder since my last drink. Digestion is amazing and efficient without having to metabolize alcohol. You’re going to experience it too! It’s way better this way!

• Robin Gray on said:

I am clearly terrified of trying this once again. This will like the 10th time i’ve tried to stop drinking. The beginning is always the easiest for me, because I am close to my last night of drinking, and my desire is strong and fresh. But I have not yet gotten very far with it. My craving is so strong that it overrides every bit of reasoning and strength of resolve that i have, and I am terrified to disappoint myself again. It is the worst feeling I have, and I have not yet figured out a way to beat the craving when it comes on so full blast. I guess it’s what you call “wolfie”…whatever it is, it’s profoundly strong and I am super scared of it. I clearly need to do something different this time. I made it to 50 days last time. Then I had a beer. And here I am, right back in it again. I want to commit to 100 days again. I just really want some more help when the craving gets overwhelming.

Hada, day one (again)

3. Anonymous on said:

Hi guys! I’m on board with you all! I didn’t know such a place existed! I’m 36 and my last drink was on 9/7/2015 labor day. So I guess that makes this day 9. That’s good. I just have been on autopilot. I have a great family, big giant house and a great (unfulfilling) career. I drink because it makes monotonous work fun! Let me clarify. I don’t drink at work. I drink doing chores and housework because it makes it bearable. I decided to quit because every time I drink all day I gain 5 lbs and can’t lose 3 of it. My bilirubin levels were at the tippy top of the “normal” levels and I’m vitamin d deficient. All of these lead to my liver being clogged. That’s what I keep telling myself to remain strong. Last night was hard. I almost caved. But I think 100 days should give me enough time to consider all I need to. So here I am!

4. Day 1. I’m tired of it. I could tell you all about it, but really just read Belle’s blog. I’m the male version of Belle (or who Belle was at the outset). I’m tired of it, and I’m tired of thinking about it.

• Hello! i took the 100 day challenge and today i am on day 662! never thought i could be happy not drinking. WRONG!! i guess you really have to want to stop and it gets easier everyday. i had a rough go in the beginning also, from a pint or more of vodka a day for 10 years to nothing. i took lots of naps….really got me through combined with Belle’s blog. please know the majority of people on i this blog are super nice and very willing to help. feel yourself craving or need support please reach out. this CAN be accomplished!!!

• Thank you so much for your note! I’m on day 3 and feeling good to have a clear mind for once. I love waking up with no regrets! I admit i have had my moments but i’m learning to accept them and ride it out…I love naps…so i will take your advice as well as this blog. I’ve been reading like crazy! Thank you!

5. Day 1 for me…back at it

6. So sick of myself! Sick of being disappointed in myself and letting myself down. Sick of feeling ashamed…and not really living or doing…sick of overcompensating.. it isn’t fun anymore. plus it is making me fat. I needed to get to this point so that I quit for the love of me Day 1 .

7. GhostFighter on said:

I have been lurking here for a while – afraid to make the commitment to “forever”. Sadly I was 16 years sober on willpower alone. Then my Dad died in 2001 and my wife’s last brain hemorrhage in 2006, my Brother drank and jumped off a bridge in December 2010 and my half brother drank himself to strokes and smoked to heart failure in 2014. Now since I remarried later in 2006 I have been happy BUT I drink too much and I now it. This wife likes her wine and of course I join in. But I know it’s bad/fatty/$pendy… so here we go Starting 100 with the last drink last night 9/19/2015

8. Anonymous on said:

PDX here….I accept the 100 day challenge. I’m tired of not living to my true potential. Here we go….seatbelt is on!

9. Anonymous on 9/22/15: Ready to start again. Made it to day 40 – know I do better without but my brain lied to me. Happens so quickly, then back to daily drinks. I accept the challenge, and appreciate the support.

10. September 23, 2015

11. staceyleigh on said:

My last drink was last night. Chardonnay. Now typically, I’m a red wine girl, and that will be what I will miss the most. But I have spent the last year in one long drunken self pity party and I’ve got things to do. I have tried AA, and stayed sober for 2 years, very happily. Felt great. However, the program itself really started to get to me. The “I’m a worthless piece of shit with a disease” thing doesn’t work for me, and I am not kidding, I’m convinced AA is a cult because it’s shame-based and the members have a maniacal sensibility that creeps me out. Alls I know is I went to bed knowing I was going to wake up and not drink today – and I slept for 12 hours of the best, most restful sleep I’ve had in as long as I can remember. Lots of intense dreams too over many of the issues/people that have sent me running to a bottle for comfort. But good dreams I think. Woke up, and along with my morning ritual of throwing away the empty wine bottle, I also tossed in my beautiful wine glasses, corkscrews, and a martini glass for good measure. Tonight may or may not be difficult – a week from now will be the real test. It’s really comforting to know I have a place to come and just talk or read or meditate on the reasons why drinking never ends well for me. Not sometimes – never.

12. Carolina on said:

Day2 for me. My birthday 2 days ago and after so many failed attempts to stop I am hoping this time I succeed. What’s different? I am so tired of letting others down, of selfishly turning my family life upside down. My husband and boys are on a roller coaster because of me – they never know what each day will bring – sober mum or drunk mum. No more.

13. After a horrible 2 years and a really scary experience i Am on day 11 – usually get to 20-24 days then all goes horribly wrong I’m hoping this 100 day challenge will give me strength

14. ElectraLou on said:

Hi! Last drink was September 16th, so on day 11 here. Second go-around at sobriety and while I’m generally happy when sober, I eventually get antsy and want to drink like a normal person. Which works for a few weeks and then I’m back to square one. I need motivation to STAY sober and remember that life is better this way.

15. This is day one for me. Of course, like everyone else, this is not my first day one. I have actually admitted that I have a problem, but everyone brushes me off, saying, “Just don’t buy any wine. You’ll be fine”. Great support, guys, thanks. My hopes for a real career and not this day job have nearly vanished, drowned in a vat of sparkling wine. My cat supports me, though my husband refuses to acknowledge the fact that I need a bit more help. I want to get my shiznit together and be proud of myself. Thanks for being there, for existing, showing me I am not alone.
    I am ready to do this.

16. Day 2 here. My birthday was my last drink. I couldn’t just have one drink with dinner. It turned into a drunken fight between my husband and I and I ruined a otherwise great birthday. I’m tired of the disappointed looks on my family’s faces. I’m tired of having to apologize. I’m tired of setting a bad example. I can do this. I will do this.

17. I did it! Today is my day 100! I can’t believe I made it. Thank you, Belle. Thank you everyone who shares. Don’t have anyone else to share this with who would understand or be excited about this. Keep going everyone. It really is worth all the anger and tears! You’ll be amazed by what you learn about yourself – all for the better.

• macbender1 on said:

Congrats! You must feel amazing! Thanks for your incouraging words, I am on day 16 and needed to hear them.

• Congratulations!!!!! That is awesome! I am currently on day 22 and holding strong (with some anger and tears) but still going! I WILL make day 100!!!! Congrats again!

18. Anonymous on said:

Day 1…Fingers crossed!

19. Jennifer on said:

Day 1. So glad I found you.

20. Hello. I am 11 days sober today. My drinking had been under control since I got married 5 years ago but 18 months ago I went through a difficult divorce and went back to my bad drinking habits and unhealthy lifestyle. A month ago I found that enough was enough and started to slowly reduce my drinking. I know that I can’t control my drinking and that I am happier without it. So I quit without having a target or a period of time in mind, just taking it one day at a time, but I like the idea of the 100 days challenge as a motivation.

All the best to all of you!

21. In Australia we have a thing called Ocsober, it raises money for kids education on drug and alcohol awarness, I am on day 3.. feeling, good, healthy eating, 27 days to go, but hoping to carry on, sick of arguing with my partnerand wasting my days off feeling tired and dusty///

22. Day 3 of the challenge for me….great to wake up after a good night’s sleep, no hangover, alert, and list of healthy tasks.

23. Sober Suki on said:

Today is day 1.

24. Michelle on said:

Yesterday, october 4 was my last drink, today is DAY ONE. Today on Facebook, three articles about sobriety came across my newsfeed and it just resonated as today is the day I stop. I did two months during the winter, then tried moderation but was quickly back to daily. So much of your blog relates to me… I think too much about it, I drink more than I want to but can’t quite stop, so want support but not group meetings. Then I found YOU and read all about your first month. I’m in!!

25. Anonymous on said:

I’m so thankful to be starting Day 7! I’m a little worried about the long (Columbus Day) weekend. It’s usually an excuse for me to isolate myself and drink for an additional day, but I’m very hopeful at the same time

26. I am on day 28 here – thrilled to be not drinking but awash in the emotional challenges that are coming up in sobriety. I’m signing on to do the challenge because I want to stop drinking for good, and I’ve got some major triggers coming up — namely a European vacation (poor me) with my parents. I’m the kind of drinker who elicits a bunch of “you don’t have a problem” comments from friends and family, but I know I do. I need resolve and commitment! and I’m grateful to be here.

27. Hi! I am on day 39! I am so happy to find this site!! Very grateful!

• Just saw your post and wanted to share this is my day 39 too! Today was my first really tough day – struggled with cravings for the first time really. I even cried but that’s ok. I feel better now and know I’ve made the right decision to quit drinking and the insanity that comes with it. I hope you are having a great day 39, Robin! Hugs from Mary – USA

28. Anonymous on said:

Just signed up for 100 days. I’ll definitely be needing prolonged support. Tomorrow–October 7–will be by first day to start counting. January 15th will be the goal. I’s like to say beyond and forever, but I honestly can’t even comprehend that right now. I was sober for 23 years and never gave it a second thought. I viewed alcohol as an addictive poison and a crutch for the weak minded. Well, if that’s true, I guess that makes a crippled moron. Anyway, so glad to be here and hoping I can finally get the support that I need.

29. Brianna on said:

I just wrote a whole long post and don’t know what happened to it…I quit yesterday was it for me..this is the third time I have quit in my life the last was for four years…three years ago…Today is October 7, 2015 it my 100 day start Lets do this ..

30. Anonymous on said:

September 21, 2015…definitely tired of it all..drinking and thinking about drinking…Thanks for your blog and this challenge! :)

Comment Navigation